This lasagna is SO amazing, your family will literally be raising the roof in celebration! To make this recipe Seven-Day Rescue Challenge compliant, omit the tofu and use more sweet potato, and skip the cashews and top with nutritional yeast.
1 onion, chopped
1 small head of garlic, all cloves chopped or pressed
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 head broccoli, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 ½ cups corn
1 package Silken Lite tofu
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary
2 jars Engine 2-approved pasta sauce
2 boxes whole grain lasagna noodles
16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
6 roma tomatoes, sliced thin
1 cup raw cashews, ground
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Sauté the onion and garlic on high heat for 3 minutes in a wok or nonstick pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions are limp and the mushrooms give up their liquid. Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic into a large bowl, saving the mushroom liquid in the pan.
2. Sauté the broccoli and carrots for 5 minutes and add to the mushroom bowl. Sauté the peppers and corn until just beginning to soften and add to the vegetable bowl.
3. Drain the silken tofu by wrapping in paper towels. Use your hands to crumble the tofu in the towels and mix into the vegetable bowl. Add spices to the mixture and combine.
4. To assemble the lasagna:
5. Cover the bottom of a 9” x 13” casserole dish with a layer of pasta sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles with sauce. This helps the noodles cook in the oven, saving time and energy.
6. Spread the vegetable mixture over the sauced noodles. Cover with a layer of noodles and another dressing of sauce. Add the spinach to the second layer of sauced noodles. Cover the spinach with the mashed sweet potatoes.
7. Add another layer of sauce, the final layer of noodles, and a last topping of sauce. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
8. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cashews or nutritional yeast, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Let the lasagna sit for 15 minutes before serving.