1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (no salt added), drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (no salt added), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cooked brown rice or 1/2 cup baked potato peeled
1 cup rolled oats
American Style Ingredients:
6 brown rice spring roll wraps (we prefer Happy Pho brand)
3 tablespoons diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons diced red or green pepper
3 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons diced dill pickles or low sodium relish
Fixings of Choice:
Ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, lettuce, tomatoes, kale, etc.
1. Place the first four base ingredients in a large bowl. Use an immersion blender or food processor to partially process the ingredients until some beans are halfway smashed and others fully mashed. If you are looking for a good arm workout, mash all the ingredients using a fork.
2. To the bowl add in the ingredients for American Style brats and stir into the mix until well combined.
3. Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 15 minutes; the longer the better.
4. In the meantime, set up a rice wrap station with a deep plate or pie pan filled with warm water. Remove mixture from the fridge. Place a brown rice wrap into the warm water until it is fully covered with water and then place it on a flat surface, like a cutting board. Place 1/3 cup of the mixture – formed into a roll shape into the center of the wrap. Fold the bottom of the wrap (the side closest to you) up, fold in the sides (burrito style) and roll it tight toward the top. Repeat until all of the filling is used. Chill the brats another 15 minutes in the fridge before cooking.
5. Place brats in a skillet over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, rotating them every minute and a half. If cooking on a barbeque grill, rotate them every minute or two until the brown rice paper starts to bubble and grill marks appear.
6. Place Epic Brats in whole grain buns and load up with all the fixings.