Creole Zucchini and Brown Rice
We love this savory recipe served over greens and brown rice with some pinto beans or black eyed peas on the side. Have fun with this recipe, which can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. We added fresh cilantro at the table this time!
Makes 4 servings:
- 2 - Onions -diced
- 4 - Cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 - Red bell pepper - diced
- 1 - Orange bell pepper - diced
- 1 - Green bell pepper - diced
- 5 - Small zucchini - quartered into wedges
- 4 - Celery stalks - diced
- 2 - Tomatoes - diced
- 1 - 28 oz Can Crushed tomatoes (no-salt-added or low sodium)
- 1 - Box Organic Spanish Style PLANTSTRONG Sofrito Broth or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 - Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 - Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 - Teaspoon Fresh sage - chopped fine
- 1 - Teaspoon Savory or thyme
- 1 - Teaspoon Paprika
- Dash Black pepper
- 4 Cups Brown rice - cooked
In a deep frying pan, over medium-high heat, caramelize onions and garlic until browned. Add splashes of Organic PLANTSTRONG Spanish Style Sofrito Broth as needed to deglaze the pan. Add celery, bell peppers, tomatoes and stir to combine. Add remaining broth, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, oregano, sage, and savory or thyme. Stir to combine well and simmer for another 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or whole-grain pasta with a side of greens and beans. Optional: add a dash of salt or crushed red pepper flakes at the table.