Staying hydrated when it gets hot out can be one of the most challenging parts of summer. So often people will go out on outdoor adventures in the heat and forget to make hydration a priority.
Not only can being dehydrated steal your summer fun, but it can also be life-threatening. The good news is that there are some simple ways to make hydration a priority.
Tips for Staying Hydrated this Summer
Hydrate Well the Day Before
One of the best things you can do when you know you will be out in the heat is to hydrate the day before. Spending time appropriately hydrating your body the day before a day in the heat can be a game-changer. It will help you to stay ahead when you go out into the heat. Properly hydrating in advance is one of the best ways to prepare for a day out. Here are a few ideas for hydrating the day before a day outside:
- Broths and soups - Broths and soups are a great way to add some hydration to the day before you head out into the heat. Instead of a heavy dinner, opt for a large bowl of soup. This flavor-packed option is a perfect way to hydrate while having a filling dinner. Another great option to consider is a hearty bowl of chili.
- Smoothie bowls - Another great way to hydrate is to try enjoying a nice smoothie bowl in the morning. Use fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, and even oranges in a smoothie bowl. Not only will it be filling, but it’s also a great way to add some hydration. Top them with granola to add a bit of crunch to your favorite smoothie bowl!
- Salads - Foods such as lettuce and cucumbers are packed with hydration potential. Make a delicious summer salad as a great way to hydrate yourself before a busy day out. Some of the best vegetables to add to a summer salad would be cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, and broccoli. You could also put together a savory watermelon salad with mint, avocado, and cucumber.
Change How You Drink
When many people think about hydration, they think about a quick water bottle in a hurry. While that can work, there are better ways. Instead of drinking water randomly, it can help to have a plan for how you will add water to your routine. With a few simple changes, you can make hydration a priority for the entire summer. Here are a few tips for changing how you drink for fluid intake:
- Skip the soft drinks and sugary drinks - Soft drinks and sugar-filled drinks can actually work against hydration. These drinks are packed with a lot of preservatives and sugars that can prevent your body from fully absorbing the water in them. When you are working on staying hydrated, it can help to remove these drinks and replace them with something with better value for your hydration.
- Rethink how you flavor your water - One way many people will drink more water is by adding flavoring to it. While this is a great way to add on hydration, it can work against you if you are using the wrong types of flavorings. Instead, try making infused waters. By slicing up fruits such as watermelon, lemon, or even blueberries and placing them in a water pitcher, you can naturally let the water take on some of the flavors while helping with hydration. For a fun twist, try layering strawberries, sliced oranges, and basil for flavor-packed water!
- Avoid alcohol -Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to remove fluids from your blood through your renal system at a much quicker rate than other liquids. If you don't drink enough water with alcohol, you can become dehydrated quickly, so perhaps choose to skip the mixed drinks altogether.
Plan Before Going Out.
Pre-planning can save so much stress later in the day. Taking a bit of time to plan out how you will stay hydrated while out and about can help you to enjoy your day more. The great thing is, there are simple ways to prepare. Even better, many of these tips will be things that won’t take away from your day. Check out these simple ways to prepare before going out to make hydration a priority:
- Pack water bottles/refillable bottles - When going out, it can be tempting to expect the place we’re going to have all we’ll need to stay hydrated. However, not all places will have easily accessible water fountains or water vendors. Packing your own water bottles can help to make sure you stay hydrated no matter what the location does. This is also a great time to use an infusion water bottle that will let you add fruit and flavor to your water.
- Research the rules of where you’re going - Not all places will allow you to bring in outside beverages. If that is the case, research the availability of water for purchase at that location. It can help to check to see if you need to bring along cash or if the vendors will be easy to get to while you’re out. It can also be helpful to know what the pricing for drinks at that location will be. It can also be helpful to find out if the location you are going to offers free water fountains or free water from vendors.
- Choose hydration-friendly snacks/meals - When you are out and about it can be tempting to skip meals or pick quick convenience meals. The meals that you choose can have a huge impact on how hydrated you are. Snacking on items such as fruit or even adding a loaded salad to your meal can all help to keep you hydrated. If you are packing snacks it can help to include items such as fresh fruit and vegetables in your bag.
So while much of the country is seeing blazing hot temperatures, keep yourself cool and hydrated with these easy tips.